Monday, April 22, 2013

Hermit Thrush, Kingfisher and Downy Woodpecker

Spring on the lake is pretty exciting with migratory fowl: ducks, merganers, grebes, canvassback and even the (Un)Common Loon. While I went searching for waterfowl, I came upon the small thrush, kin to the robin and a kingfisher.  In Southern Minnesota we only have the Belted Kingfisher but it is a great bird fishing along the banks. Today I also saw a Brown Creeper which is here year round but not often spotted.
Hermit Thrush, smaller than a robin





Downy Woodpecker, the smallest of the local  woodpeckers













 The Belted Kingfisher flew ahead of me as I walked the shoreline.  He never came out in the clear. So I was lucky to get these shots with branches in front. I will try again another day.

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment